Monday, November 3, 2008

The Poisonwood Bible: Key Passage Week 4

Passage: “I am prone to let doctor’s prophecy and keep my thought to myself. Silence has many advantages. When you do not speak other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations. Only occasionally do I find I have to break my peace: shout or be lost in the shuffle. But mostly am lost in the shuffle. I write and draw in my notebook and read anything I please. It is true I do not speak as well as I can think. But that is true of most people, as nearly as I can tell.”

Adah, a handicapped daughter, speaks of how she cannot speak as well as she think. Although she is talking about herself, I feel as though the entire passage is a reflection of her mother, Orleanna. Orleanna knows of the danger of her situation, and although many thoughts are being provoked within her mind, she cannot bring herself to speak of such ideas. This is all building up to a serious turn in the story, when Orleanna will finally speak her mind, shocking her husband and children. What will cause such an outburst is the mystery that keeps me reading.

No comments: